Plan & Spec
There are two types of plan & spec situations: Complete Documentation or Limited Documentation
- The owner has hired a design professional to prepare a complete set of construction documents for bidding by multiple contractors.
- The contractor does not become involved until the documentation is complete and ready for bid, thus eliminating any “value engineering” to take place during the design process.
- Many public projects use this method of delivery.
- Bids can be significantly affected by the quality of the documentation.
- Many times, the owner must mediate disputes between the parties during the construction process.
- The owner has some documentation prepared and asks multiple general contractors to “bid” on the work.
- The challenge with this process is in defining the total “scope of work” for the project and whether the contractor has included all of the scope in his proposal.
- The owner evaluates potentially complex “proposals for work” from multiple contractors and must decide who has covered all the necessary items at the best cost, typically a challenging review process.
- Unfortunately the Limited Documentation approach leaves open many opportunities for lower quality construction and shortcuts taken during the design and construction process.
To see our projects managed through the Plan & Spec approach, click here.